“In This Corner” is a weekly blog by Ultimate Fight Show host LC that gives you the fan, the latest and most accurate up to the minute information from the world of Boxing / MMA. Whether you are a casual fan of the sport or a die-hard super-fan, “In This Corner” is your one-stop-shop for anything and everything that encompasses the sports of Boxing / MMA.
Last Update: (04 / 17 / 2012):
Hello to all you fight fans out there from around the globe and welcome to the 3rd blog of “In This Corner” w/ your host LC!!! I am new to all this blogging stuff, so bare with me over the next few weeks until I can come up with a set format on how to run this weekly blog. With that in mind, let’s get right into this week’s rumors, facts, and opinions from the world of Boxing / MMA.
Boxing News / Notes:
– Over the weekend boxing fans witnessed another judging debacle as Brandon Rios was awarded the split decision victory over his opponent Richard Abril. The decision prompted an almost immediate uproar of boos as the crowd let the judges and more importantly Bob Arum know their disgust with the decision. I personally scored the fight 116 – 112 for Abril, but 2 of the 3 judges scored the fight 115 – 113 / 116 – 112 for Rios. At some point in the near future, someone is going to have to explain to me and many other boxing fans why these horrific decisions keep happening? Abril and his people plan on appealing the decision, but no one expects the decision to be overturned. Apparently the rotting stench from Las Vegas over this decision is reaching across the country because many outraged fans and experts alike are holding their respective noses at this one. Shame on all of you, you know who you are.
– The 2nd installment of HBO’s critically acclaimed series 24/7 Mayweather vs. Cotto, will air Saturday night at 9:30pm. Last week’s episode did a good job of familiarizing new viewers with the key principle players from the series, as well as their teams, families, and friends all building up to the live fight May 5th on HBO pay-per-view. Personally, I would like to see more sparring, & fight preparation, but will settle for Uncle Roger, 50 Cent and Floyd Sr. all jockeying for praise like children from Jr. If nothing else, it makes for good viewing entertainment.
– In other news from around the squared circle, it seems that Manny Pacquiao is looking extra sharp in his preparation to fight Tim Bradley on June 9th. Pacquiao said that he believes one of them will get knocked out that night. Now whether or not that happens remains to be seen, but I for one am excited at the prospects of a knockout happening. Can’t Wait!!!
MMA News / Notes:
– It is being reported that Dana White has taken a “wait / see” approach to the upcoming UFC 146 main event between champion Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem. Overeem, who tested positive for highly elevated levels of testosterone (14 to 1 ratio, normal level allowed is 6 to 1), is have a hearing with the NSAC on the 24th of April to determine his fate & the fate of the fight. Overeem, who is currently not under license by the NSAC, says that he will explain and prove his innocence on the matter. I personally hope that the issue is resolved and that the 2 best heavyweights on the planet can meet in the octagon next month.
– Countdown: Jones vs. Evens will air tonight at 9:30pm on FUEL TV. UFC 145 takes place Saturday at Atlanta’s Phillips Arena. A light-heavyweight title fight between champion Jon Jones and Rashad Evans headlines the pay-per-view main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook. Don’t to the last one to the party friends.
– Finally, this Friday night in my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio, Bellator 66 Aoki vs. Alvarez II will take place at the I-X Center starting at 8pm. The fight marks a rematch between arguably the 2 best fighters not under the Zuffa banner. Aoki won the first meeting with a heel-hook submission in the first round of an exciting fight. Since then Alvarez has won 7 of 8 and Aoki has won 8 of 9. To me that is a recipe for a great night of action on the shores of Lake Erie. MTV 2will air the event live.
For more opinions, news, and analysis, don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” this week at its regular time 7pm – 9pm Thursday on ITUNES, Blogtalkradio.com, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show.
…..Til next week’s blog, I will leave you fight fans with some food for thought…
Question of the Week:
As the anticipation for Jones / Evens becomes a reality Saturday night, The Ultimate Fight Show wants to know if Jones / Evens is the biggest fight in UFC Light-Heavyweight history?? Let us know, polls close on Saturday at 6pm.
*** Please send all question responses to Facebook.com / The Ultimate Fight Show or to firstname.lastname@example.org or to my twitter account at LCtheIII on twitter. I will discuss the question / responses from the fans live on the air during “The Ultimate Fight Show”.
** Don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” live Thursday nights from 7pm – 9pm on ITUNES Podcast, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show, or at www.blogtalkradio.com / The Ultimate Fight Show. Thanks and have a great week!!!