“In This Corner” is a weekly blog by Ultimate Fight Show host LC that gives you the fan, the latest and most accurate up to the minute information from the world of Boxing / MMA. Whether you are a casual fan of the sport or a die-hard super-fan, “In This Corner” is your one-stop-shop for anything and everything that encompasses the sports of Boxing / MMA.
Last Update: (05 / 04 / 2012):
Hello to all you fight fans out there from around the globe and welcome to the 3rd blog of “In This Corner” w/ your host LC!!! I am new to all this blogging stuff, so bare with me over the next few weeks until I can come up with a set format on how to run this weekly blog. With that in mind, let’s get right into this week’s rumors, facts, and opinions from the world of Boxing / MMA.
Boxing News / Notes:
- Over the weekend fight fans witnessed the passing of the so-called torch, as “Bad” Chad Dawson was able to overcome 2 nasty cuts above each eye in route to his majority decision victory over ageless legend Bernard Hopkins in Atlantic City, to win the lineal Light-Heavyweight Championship of the world. Two judges scored the fight 117 – 111, while the third judge saw the fight even at 114 – 114. The Ultimate Fight Show unofficially scored the bout 118 – 110 for Dawson. Dawson was able to land 151 / 400 punches thrown on the 47 year-old Hopkins, while Hopkins connected on 106 / 400 punches thrown according to CompuBox. To this expert it seemed that Hopkins age was not a factor in the fight, but that his lack of punches per round is what cost him the fight. Hopkins said after the fight that he will assess his options and make a decision in a few months. As for Dawson, he said that he is ready for any of the big name fighters at 168 or 175 pounds. Regardless of who Dawson fights next, one thing that’s for certain is that it will be must see TV.
- Tomorrow night in Las Vegas, Floyd Mayweather Jr. will take on Miguel Cotto (in what is being billed as boxing’s biggest night), on PPV at 9pm. The fight card includes a fantastic undercard as undefeated 154 pound WBC champ Saul Alvarez takes on “Sugar” Shane Mosley in what should be another great fight. Also on the card is former contender Steve Forbes taking on hot young prospect Jesse Vargas in a 147 pound 10 rounder, and Carlos Quintana vs. Deandre Latimore in a 154 pound 10 rounder. Should be a great Cinco de Mayo, tune in to The Ultimate Fight Show tonight at 8pm for our expert fight breakdown, roundtable discussion, & fight predictions. Don’t miss it!!!
- Finally, there have been some new developments in the Brandon Rios vs. Richard Abril 140 pound fight from 2 weeks ago. In case you forgot (and who could blame anyone because it was such a horrible decision) Brandon Rios was out-boxed by the game Abril who seemed by most experts including myself (I scored it 116 – 112 for Abril) that he won the fight, only to be shocked when the judges awarded Rios the split-decision victory. The WBA sanctioning body has ruled 11 – 1 that Abril won the fight, and have awarded him back to interim-champ status. Unfortunately for Abril, they will not overturn the decision so even though he clearly won the fight, Rios will get the credit in the record books for winning the fight. Seems a bit shady, but at least they partially took a step in the right direction for a change.
MMA News / Notes:
- Since the last blog light-heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones successfully defended his title by defeating his 4th former champion in the last 13 months, by beating Rashad Evens by unanimous decision. UFS scored the bout 50 – 45 for Jones, as did one of the judges, while the other two judges scored the bout 49 – 46 for Jones. So it now looks as if Jon Jones will face former Pride / Strikeforce champ Dan Henderson sometime in August or September. We will have more details as they development.
- Alistair Overeem was suspended by the NSAC board members last week for his positive test for high levels of testosterone to epi-testosterone ratio. Overeem, who was scheduled to face UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos on May 26 at UFC 146, will now have to appeal the board’s decision by submitting to more tests in the future. According to the court records on the proceeding, Overeem asked for a continuance but was denied by the board members. It seems like Overeem will be out of commission til the end of the year.
- Finally, this weekend marks the third installment of the UFC on Fox deal. The main event is between Nate Diaz and Jim Miller with the winner getting a shot at the 155 pound title later this year, or so everyone thought during our conference call with the fighters last week. It was announced yesterday by UFC president Dana White that only Nate Diaz will get a title shot if he wins on Saturday night. This came as a surprise to Jim Miller who thought he was also guaranteed a shot, especially considering that his only losses in the last 5 years are to the last champion Frankie Edgar, and the current champion Benson Henderson. When asked if it will affect his performance on Saturday night Miller responded by saying “Yes, I want to try harder now to earn that shot”. Also on the card are top five 170 pounders Josh Koschek taking on Johnny Hendricks, coming off his 12 second knockout of Jon Fitch last year. Should be a great night of fighting on Cinco de Mayo! Stay thirsty my friends…
For more opinions, news, and analysis, don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” this week at its regular time 7pm – 9pm Thursday on ITUNES, Blogtalkradio.com, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show.
…..Til next week’s blog, I will leave you fight fans with some food for thought…
Question of the Week:
“Which upcoming boxing fight are you most looking forward to seeing in the next 6 weeks”? Go to our Facebook page poll to view the upcoming fights & to cast your vote. Polls close at 9pm on Saturday May 5th.
*** Please send all question responses to Facebook.com / The Ultimate Fight Show or to email@example.com or to my twitter account at LCtheIII on twitter. I will discuss the question / responses from the fans live on the air during “The Ultimate Fight Show”.