“In This Corner” is a weekly blog by Ultimate Fight Show host LC that gives you the fan, the latest and most accurate up to the minute information from the world of Boxing / MMA. Whether you are a casual fan of the sport or a die-hard super-fan, “In This Corner” is your one-stop-shop for anything and everything that encompasses the sports of Boxing / MMA.
Last Update: (05 / 17 / 2012):
Hello to all you fight fans out there from around the globe and welcome to the 3rd blog of “In This Corner” w/ your host LC!!! I am new to all this blogging stuff, so bare with me over the next few weeks until I can come up with a set format on how to run this weekly blog. With that in mind, let’s get right into this week’s rumors, facts, and opinions from the world of Boxing / MMA.
Boxing News / Notes:
- It has been two weeks since the world was once again treated to the physical genius that is Floyd Mayweather’s boxing ability. The fight with Miguel Cotto was unique for many reasons that I would like to bring to the attention of even the most seasoned fan. The first is the fact that Mayweather moved up for only the 2nd time in his career to the 154 pound weight class to take on a champion in Miguel Cotto. By fight time Cotto was 165 pounds, while Mayweather was 147 due to a cold he had been dealing with and the injured left hand that he hurt in training. Despite those afflictions that would have sidelined a less than professional fighter, Mayweather was able to stand toe to toe with the bigger Cotto, and show the brilliance that we as experts / fans have grown accustomed to seeing. In the end the verdict was unanimous, 118 – 110 & 117 – 111 twice in favor of Mayweather (UFS scored it 117 – 111). Although Cotto lost the fight, he gained confidence from his spirited effort, and praise from all corners of the boxing world. The fight generated 106 million dollars from the live gate, and the PPV buys, making it the second largest non-heavyweight fight in history.
- So what lies ahead for both fighters? Well for Mayweather it’s 87 days in county jail for domestic assault of an ex-girlfriend. For Cotto it is a September return against an opponent yet to be named. We will definitely keep you posted as we hear more information on these two fighters in the upcoming months.
- This weekend was supposed to be a rematch of another great fight from last year as Lamont Peterson was set to defend the title he controversially won from Amir Khan in Las Vegas on Saturday night. Unfortunately for fight fans and Amir Khan, that will not happen because Peterson tested positive for high testosterone levels from the sample of urine he willingly submitted to in March. He will have time to appeal the results and explain his case, but not in time to salvage the fight for May 19th. Golden Boy Promotions that handles both fighters is eyeing a July 7th date for the rematch to take place if at all.
- But fear not fight fans because there is an intriguing fight taking place this Saturday after all as Mikkel Kessler makes his debut at 175 pounds against Super Six replacement fighter Allan Green. This should tell us a lot about both fighters who have had setbacks in the last year due to inactivity, injuries, and losses of their own. Who do I like in this fight? Tune in to The Ultimate Fight Show at 7pm tonight to hear my prediction. Either way, it should be a good fight for the average fan to watch.
MMA News / Notes:
- My last blog previewed the Nate Diaz / Jim Miller bout and discussed the possibility that the winner would get a title shot at 155 pounds. Well as I predicted on my show, Nate Diaz was able to use his reach, and volume of strikes to wear down Miller, and later submit him with a choke in the 2nd round of their 5 round fight. Now Diaz has to play the waiting game to see if his opponent will be Benson Henderson, Frankie Edgar, or possibly Gray Maynard in a rematch if he can get past the always game Clay Guida next month. However it plays out one thing is for sure, as soon as they know, you will know.
- This weekend on Showtime, Strike Force will conclude their epic heavyweight grand prix tournament with Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett for the tournament title. This fight is interesting for so many reasons that I cannot list here because it would take too much time, so tune in to the show later for them all. I will say though, that Barnett’s ability to submit people vs. the Olympic style wrestling of Cormier is what I am looking most to seeing in the cage this weekend. Also on the card, lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez defends his title vs. Josh Thompson in what will conclude their epic trilogy (each fighter is 1 – 1 vs. each other) on Saturday night. Whatever happens, it should be another great night of mma fights once again from Strike Force and Showtime.
- As promised we at The Ultimate Fight Show are starting up our “Legendary Night” series once again on this week’s show. This week’s LN looks at the first two installments of Melendez / Thompson, to get you the fight fan, prepared for this weekend’s third and final act. Go to the Facebook page listed below to view the fights online for free.
For more opinions, news, and analysis, don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” this week at its regular time 7pm – 9pm Thursday on ITUNES, Blogtalkradio.com, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show.
…..Til next week’s blog, I will leave you fight fans with some food for thought…
Question of the Week:
“In light of all the recent fighters in both boxing & mma testing positive for some sort of banned substance, is it time for both sports to adopt the Mayweather Olympic style drug testing motto? Email us or Tweet us with your responses.
*** Please send all question responses to Facebook.com / The Ultimate Fight Show or to firstname.lastname@example.org or to my twitter account at LCtheIII on twitter. I will discuss the question / responses from the fans live on the air during “The Ultimate Fight Show”.
** Don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” live Thursday nights from 7pm – 9pm on ITUNES Podcast, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show, or at www.blogtalkradio.com / The Ultimate Fight Show. Thanks and have a great week!!!