The first third of 2012 is over and not a few story lines are shaping the landscape of MMA. In the most recent news my sources have told me that Jon “Bones” Jones has been arrested for DUI in New York today. His Bentley was totaled after crashing into a pole. He was arrested on the spot and later said to be bailed out by his mom. TMZ reported that earlier in the year Jones had filmed some training with the same sheriff offices that ended up taking him into custody. Dana White’s only comment was,”Wow I guess its not my week is it?” This on the heals of MMA being voted down for being legalized in New York City last week, gives the UFC bad publicity at a time they are trying to gather support in the Big Apple.
The contenders for Bendos title belt seem to be in a revolving door. First Dana White said Pettis earned the title shot, which I agree with. Then he said he was giving Edgar yet another rematch, but with rumors of his injury, Nate Diaz is also rumored as a replacement. I believe since Anthony Pettis is the last one to beat Ben, for the WEC belt and Fight Of the Year no less, that he should get the title shot.
It is finally official that Dan Henderson is gonna fight Jon Jones September 1st in Las Vegas. With his recent arrest, I don’t foresee this interfering, but stay tuned just in case. Henderson has prime time credentials having Olympic caliber wrestling compared to Jone’s small college wrestling. Henderson also has knockout power in both hands where Jones has it in neither. The bad thing is, Dan is coming off a year lay off, though his last bout was from his Fight of the Year with Maricio Rua.
In Frank Mir news, I was at an event last Saturday as I was training a fighter to make his amateur debut, when I ran into Dan Hardy, Jeremy Horn and Frank. Mir has stepped in to replace Overeem for a title shot against JDS. Even though the doctor that treated Overeem stated that it was his fault for contaminating him, that Alistair had no knowledge of it, and the commission said they believed him, they still gave him a 9 month ban, the same as Big Mo who admitted he did cheated.
Jason “Mayhem” Miller is set to fight on the UFC 146 preliminary card against C.B. Dolloway and has told Dana White that if he puts on a performance like he did in his last outing against Bising, that he will retire. I for one am hoping Mayhem makes a strong showing for himself.
Last but certainly not least every one watch my friend “Super” Steven Siler June 22nd as he fights Jimy Hettes on the UFC on FX 4: Maynard vs. Guiada card.