“In This Corner” is a weekly blog by Ultimate Fight Show host LC that gives you the fan, the latest and most accurate up to the minute information from the world of Boxing / MMA. Whether you are a casual fan of the sport or a die-hard super-fan, “In This Corner” is your one-stop-shop for anything and everything that encompasses the sports of Boxing / MMA.
Last Update: (08 / 22 / 2012):
Hello to all you fight fans out there from around the globe and welcome to the 3rd blog of “In This Corner” w/ your host LC!!! I am new to all this blogging stuff, so bare with me over the next few weeks until I can come up with a set format on how to run this weekly blog. With that in mind, let’s get right into this week’s rumors, facts, and opinions from the world of Boxing / MMA.
Boxing News / Notes:
– Okay so most of you are probably wondering why the blog has not been updated in over 2 months? Well I assure you all there is a method to that madness. I decided that because Floyd Mayweather was incarcerated for that time, I would update the blog upon his release from jail. And that time has come and gone, so let’s take a look at what’s in store for the sweet science in the month of September.
– Speaking of Floyd Mayweather Jr, his best friend 50 Cent has thrown his hat into the promoting game by starting his own company called TMT Promotions. They have already signed fighters like Floyd Mayweather, Andre Dirrell, Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Zab Judah to start and are planning a card for early November. Good Luck!!!
– ESPN FNF concluded their broadcast season with the return of Carlos Molina taking on Cuban prospect Damien Frias in the main event. Many experts (INCLUDING THIS ONE) thought that Molina may be overlooking the young Frias, especially in lewd of his last fight, a controversial loss to James Kirkland early in the year (A FIGHT MOLINA WAS WINNING). But that wasn’t the case as Molina demonstrated to boxing experts & fans alike why he is one of the most avoided fighters in the game, shutting out the young Cuban to win all 10rds on route to a 100 – 90 UD.
– Starting on August 25th, HBO will continue their award-winning series 24 / 7. The combatants for this installment feature current LHW Champion Chad Dawson moving down in weight to take on undefeated SMW Champion Andre Ward at 168 pounds for Ward’s title. The fight will take place on September 8th live on HBO. This fight is must see TV for anyone who claims to be a fight fan, don’t miss it!
– Finally, after much debate, I have decided to feature a UFS Boxing P4P List in the upcoming months on The Ultimate Fight Show websites and show. This will allow you the fan to see where your favorite boxers are ranked in the sport, and also to spark more debate between you the fans. That list will be released next month.
MMA News / Notes:
– On September 1st, UFC 151 will feature LHW Champion Jon Jones taking on Dan Henderson for the title. The card will also feature the likes of Jake Ellenberger, Charlie Brenneman, and Denis Siver all in action. Don’t miss a minute of this exciting card!
– Turns out that undefeated Strike Force Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier will be getting a dose of the UFC in a big way when he takes on former 2-time Heavyweight Champ Frank Mir in his last fight before moving over to the UFC for good. Be careful what you wish for my friend, Mir is as dangerous as they come.
– And finally, it seems that everywhere you look these days you see her, I am talking about Ronda Rousey. Not only is she smoking hot, on the cover of ESPN the Body issue, a bronze medalist in Judo at the 2008 Olympics, but she backs it all up in spectacular fashion once the cage closes behind her. Just last weekend, Rousey did it again, tapping out a game Sarah Kauffman in 54 seconds of the 1st round to defend her 135 pound Strike Force title. If you’re keeping track at home that’s 6 fights, 6 arm-bars, and all 6 in the 1st round. Extremely impressive and consistent which is what matters most. Congrats RRR!!!
For more opinions, news, and analysis, don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” this week at its regular time 7pm – 9pm Thursday on ITUNES, Blogtalkradio.com, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show.
…..Til next week’s blog, I will leave you fight fans with some food for thought…
Question of the Week:
“Should TRT be banned from all competitive sports especially boxing & mma?” Email us or Tweet us with your responses.
*** Please send all question responses to Facebook.com / The Ultimate Fight Show or to email@example.com or to my twitter account at LCtheIII on twitter.I will discuss the question / responses from the fans live on the air during “The Ultimate Fight Show”.
** Don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” live Thursday nights from 7pm – 9pm on ITUNES Podcast, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show, or at www.blogtalkradio.com / The Ultimate Fight Show. Thanks and have a great week!!!