“In This Corner” is a weekly blog by Ultimate Fight Show host LC that gives you the fan, the latest and most accurate up to the minute information from the world of Boxing / MMA. Whether you are a casual fan of the sport or a die-hard super-fan, “In This Corner” is your one-stop-shop for anything and everything that encompasses the sports of Boxing / MMA.
Last Update: (12 / 26 / 2012):
Hello to all you fight fans out there from around the globe and welcome to the 10th & final blog for the year of “In This Corner” w/ LCIII. It’s been 4 months to the day since the last edition of my blog, and some of my loyal readers & listeners have been wondering “why the long delay”? To that I respond by telling all of you worried fans that I was being overly cautious of the Mayan prophecy, and wanted to make sure the world was still here on the 22nd (just kidding of course). So with that being said, let’s get right into this week’s rumors, facts, and opinions from the world of Boxing / MMA.
Boxing News / Notes:
– Well it’s been 2 weeks since the boxing world was shocked and awed by the right hand precision of Juan Manuel Marquez’s perfect KO counterpunch to P4P kingpin Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas, Nevada. Not that it was surprising to many experts who thought that Manny Pacquiao’s skill-set was deteriorating just a bit from the heavy workload undertaken the last few years. Some (including myself) felt that it was more a matter of stylistic chess in the squared circle that propelled Marquez at the end of the 42nd round of combat between these future HOF pugs, to deliver the most satisfying punch to the face of his worthy nemesis! Whatever camp you align yourself with, a few things are certain, the 4th installment of this legendary quadrilogy was not only my personnel Fight of the Year, but it also produced the KO of the Year, and possible the Round of the Year in round 5 for me in 2012.
– On a somber note, it seems now that the mega-fight between the two best fighters of the last 20 years, Floyd Mayweather Jr. & Manny Pacquiao will now and forever enter the pantheon of what could have been. The fashion in which Manny Pacquiao lost 2 weeks ago has assured us that these two legends will never face each other in the ring, and the real losers are us the fans.
– Speaking of the P4P king Floyd Mayweather Jr., it appears that Mayweather will move back down to 147 pounds to defend his WBC welterweight title against Robert “the Ghost” Guerrero on May 4th or Cinco De Mayo weekend next year. Guerrero, who is 2 – 0 – 1ko since the move from 135 to 147, is a southpaw who likes to punch and bang & can take a punch. This should be an interesting test for Mayweather who at 35 years old, insists that he is not close to finished with his HOF career. We shall see how things progress, & follow 24 / 7 on HBO til the apex on May 4th 2013.
– I alluded earlier to some of my picks for The Ultimate Fight Show’s 2nd annual Year End Awards. Tune in January 10th at 8pm for all The Braggman & LCIII‘s results from the Facebook Survey which should be available on The Ultimate Fight Show’s homepage by December 31st 2012. Log in and vote for all your favorites in each category and then listen to the live show for the results and breakdown. Don’t miss it!!!
MMA News / Notes:
– One week from tonight UFC 155 will conclude the 2012 UFC calendar year with a rematch between UFC Heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos versus former champion Cain Velasquez. This fight has all the drama that is needed to make sure there will be fireworks & a knockout when these two enter the cage. The PPV card also features several intriguing matchups assuring that it will be must see television to the average fight fan.
– 2012 seemed to be a year plagued by injuries, steroids, and chaos in the world of MMA. Hopefully next year, the UFC and Dana White will come up with some new ways to get MMA more mainstream then just a few events on FOX, & FUEL TV. I for one would like to see a few more free cards but with a few title fights sprinkled in between the usual fights that free cards have on them.
– And finally, it seems that everywhere you look these days you see her, I am talking about Ronda Rousey. Not only is she smoking hot, on the cover of ESPN the Body issue, a bronze medalist in Judo at the 2008 Olympics, but she backs it all up in spectacular fashion once the cage closes behind her. If you’re keeping track at home that’s 7 fights, 7 arm-bars, and all 7 in the 1st round. Now she will headline UFC 156 PPV card over Machida vs. Henderson. Yeah you read that right! A woman headlining a MMA PPV card, either Dana White will look like a fool, or a genius with this move. Unfortunately, we won’t know til next year, but congrats to RRR is definitely deserving this year.
For more opinions, news, and analysis, dont forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” every week at its regular time Thursday nights from 8pm – 10pm on ITUNES, Blogtalkradio.com, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show.
…..Til next year’s 2013 blog, I will leave you fight fans with some food for thought…
Question of the Year:
“How prevalent do you think steroids, TRT, & doping are in Boxing / MMA???
*** Please send all question responses to Facebook.com / The Ultimate Fight Show or to LuvthatSweetScience@gmail.com or to my twitter account at LCtheIII on twitter. I will discuss the question / responses from the fans live on the air during “The Ultimate Fight Show”.
** Don’t forget to listen to “The Ultimate Fight Show” live Thursday nights from 8pm – 10pm on ITUNES Podcast, or at www.ultimatesportstalk.com / The Ultimate Fight Show, or at www.blogtalkradio.com / The Ultimate Fight Show. Thanks and have a great week!!!