Redskins Rip Raiders

Timothy Earl October 2, 2013 Comments Off on Redskins Rip Raiders

The Washington Redskins, behind a seven-sack defensive attack and a  late touchdown run from back-up running back Roy Helu Jr., snapped a three game losing streak and beat the Oakland Raiders on the road, 24-14 at O. co Coliseum.

One of the defensive leaders of the game was linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, who had two sacks and also forced a fumble. That turnover allowed Washington to get the ball back on the Raiders (1-3)  42 yard line with 7: 54 to play and clinging to a 17-14 lead.

Redskin quarterback Robert Griffin III, who was 18 for 31 passing for 227 yards and one scoring pass, then eluded the Oakland pass rush and completed a 28-yard pass to Helu who scored a play later on a 14-yard touchdown run that gave the Redskins a 10 point cushion with just 6:59 to play in the game.

Helu, who finished the game with 41 yards on 13 carries, entered the game in the third quarter after starting running back Alfred Morris left the game with a rib injury.

After falling behind 14-0 in the first quarter behind a blocked punt that led to a touchdown and an 18-yard scoring pass from Raider backup quarterback Matt Flynn to Mychal Rivera, Washington got on the board with a 25-yard field goal from kicker John Potter, who was filling in for an injuried Kai Forbath. Flynn was starting in place of Terrelle  Pryor who suffered a concussion in last week’s game.

A game-saving play was then made by Redskin rookie cornerback David Amerson who intercepted a Flynn pass and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown to cut the Washington deficit to 14-10 with 10:59 to play in the second quarter. Neither team could do anything with the ball and the score remained 14-10 entering halftime.

Oakland could only manage a missed 52-yard field goal during the third quarter as the Redskin defense held the Raiders to 28 net yards in the quarter. The front seven put pressure on Flynn, who finished the game 21 for 32 for 227 yards, with one touchdown and one interception, and recorded two of their sacks in the third quarter.

After the missed field goal, the Redskins got the ball back and mounted their first touchdown drive of the day. RG3 drove the team 58 yards in eight plays highlighted by a third down conversion on a 17-yard pass play to wideout Leonard Hankerson that moved the ball into the red zone. For the game, Hankerson caught four passes for 49 yards. Some tough running from Morris, who finished with 71 yards on 16 hard fought carries took the ball to the Raider five yard line.

RG3 then hit wideout Pierre Garçon with a five-yard bullet for a third down touchdown which gave Washington a 17-14 lead with 2:58 to play in the third quarter. Garçon finished the game with six catches for 59 yards and one touchdown.

The Redskin defense then took charge and recorded two more sacks in the fourth quarter. For the game, linebacker Brian Orakpo and nose tackle Barry Cofield each joined Kerrigan with two sacks. Cofield also recovered a fumble. Darryl Tapp finished with one sack to complete the sack attack.

After the Helu touchdown gave Washington a 24-14 lead the Raiders got the ball back with about seven minutes to play in the game. Oakland mounted their best scoring drive of the second half, but failed to convert on fourth down and gave the ball back to the Redskins on the Washington 17 yard line. The Raiders got the ball back one more time but time ran out and the Redskins were able to fly home with a (1-3) record going into their bye week.