Vikings Whip Washington

Timothy Earl November 13, 2013 Comments Off on Vikings Whip Washington

Washington Redskins The Washington Redskins were outscored 20-3 in the second half and were beaten by the Minnesota Vikings 34-27 at Mall of America Field.

The Redskins appeared to be in complete control of the game, leading 24-14 at the half. Quarterback Robert Griffin III completed 16 of 21 passes for three touchdowns and they scored on their first four drives of the half. Running back Alfred Morris also contributed 88 yards rushing in the first half but they could not continue the offense production in the second half. Morris finished the game with 139 yards on 26 carries.

The Vikings, despite their (1-7) record entering the game, did not quit and rallied around back-up quarterback Matt Cassel (4-6 for 47 yards)  who entered the game for starter Christian Ponder (17-21 for 174 yards with two touchdowns and one interception)  who was injured while attempting to score a touchdown in the third quarter.

After Washington tacked on a 40-yard field goal with 9:22 to play in the third quarter making the score 27-14, the Vikings stormed back with 20 straight points to seal the victory.

Washington tried to capture their first half offensive magic and pull out a last minute victory but it was not meant to be.

Trailing 34- 27 with just 3:36 to play, RG3, despite not having any timeouts, drove his team 76 yards. His fourth down pass to wideout Santana Moss in the corner of the end zone was ruled out of bounds and the Redskins were left with a crushing defeat, falling to (3-6) while the Vikings improved to (2-7).

During the first half Washington could do no wrong offensively. In fact, they scored on their first five drives of the game, the first time they have done that since 1985. The Vikings made adjustments in the second half and were able to sack RG3 (24-37 for 281 yards) four times to stop the Redskin offense domination in the second half.

The Washington aerial attack was led by wide out Pierre Garçon, who had seven receptions for 119 yards and a touchdown, but most of his damage was done in the first half. The Vikings rushing attack was led by Adrian Peterson who finished the game with 75 yards on 20 carries. It was his second touchdown of the day, a one-yard touchdown run with 57 seconds to play in the third quarter that gave the Vikings their first lead of the game at 28-27 and they never trailed again.