Eagles soar past Redskins

Timothy Earl September 27, 2014 Comments Off on Eagles soar past Redskins

Washington RedskinsThe Washington Redskins fought hard, but in the end came up short, losing to the Philadelphia Eagles 37-34 at Lincoln Financial Field.

The game saw each team taking the others best punch. With the score 37-34 with 2:25 to play and the ball on the Eagles 41-yard line, the Redskins were poised to win or tie the game with a field goal. Unfortunately for Skins fans, they gained 0 yards on the four most critical plays of the game and gave the ball back to the Eagles on downs. They then ran out the clock to secure the victory.

Still, quarterback Kirk Cousins, in his first start of the season after taking over the team for the injured Robert Griffin III played well and had his team on the verge of a win. He finished the game 30-48 for 427 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

The Redskins started fast, and with 8:42 to play in the first quarter struck first when Cousins hit fullback Darrel Young with a four-yard touchdown pass to make the score 7-0.

But the Eagles answered right back with a 102 yard kickoff return for a touchdown by Chris Polk as the Redskins special teams had another meltdown. The score was now tied at 7-7.

Washington punched right back with a 12 play 87 yard drive as Cousins hit wideout Pierre Garcon (11 catches, 138 yards 1 TD) with a four-yard scoring pass to give his team the lead at 14-7 with 2:09 to play in the first quarter.

The second quarter the Eagles responded with two Nick Foles ( 28-42, 325 yards and 3TDs) 11-yard touchdown passes to Jordan Matthews, while the Redskins added field goals of 49 and 44 yards from Kai Forbath. The Eagles had the lead at halftime 21-20.

The third quarter saw the Eagles tack on two field goals to make the score 27-20 but then DeSean Jackson showed up. The former Eagles electrifying receiver streaked down the field and Cousins hit him right in stride. He broke one tackle and ran backwards into the end zone for an 81-yard scoring strike to knot the score at 27 apiece. Jackson was Washington’s other 100 yard receiver. He ended the game with five catches for 117 yards and one TD.

In the fourth quarter the Eagles took the lead again with a Foles to Jeremy Maclin 27-yard touchdown pass with 7:34 left to play in the game to give the Eagles the lead again at 34-27.  Maclin finished the game with eight catches for 154 yards and one touchdown.

The Eagles then tacked on a 51-yard field goal to take a 37-27 lead with 5:55 to play.

To their credit, Washington responded with a Roy Helu 55-yard pass which led to a Helu one-yard touchdown run to make the score 37-34. That was as close as Washington would get.

This game was played through the air as the teams combined for 752 passing yards.

The Redskins defense held LeSean McCoy to 22 yards on 20 carried. Washington’s Alfred Morris ran for 77 yards on 23 carries.

The game was chippy at times and a bench clearing brawl broke out in the fourth quarter after Redskin lineman Chris Baker put a big hit on Foles as he was running down the field as part of a pass interception play. Eagles lineman Jason Peters did not like the block which knocked Foles to the ground and pushing and punches ensued. Both players were ejected from the game, which was a hotly contested game from the start.