High-Flying Eagles Beat Redskins

Timothy Earl September 12, 2013 Comments Off on High-Flying Eagles Beat Redskins
(AP Photo/Nick Wass)

(AP Photo/Nick Wass)

The Washington Redskins made a valiant effort to overcome early mistakes but could not complete the comeback, losing to the Philadelphia Eagles 33-27 at FedEx Field on Monday Night Football.

After falling behind 33-7 after a LeSean McCoy 34-yard touchdown run to begin the third quarter, the Redskins scored 20 straight points but it was not enough to overcome early miscues and the Eagles new high-powered offense of first year coach Chip Kelly.

With a 13 point fourth quarter, the Redskins tried to pull off the miracle but an onside kick was recovered by the Eagles and the Redskins were left with their first defeat of the season.

The game started well for the Redskins as DeAngelo Hall returned for 75 yards a backward pass by Eagles quarterback Michael Vick, for an early 7-0 lead. Unfortunately, that was the only first half highlight for the Redskins.

Last year’s Redskin heros, Robert Griffin III and running back Alfred Morris, both got off to shaky starts. Griffin threw an early interception and Morris fumbled on his first carry and again in the endzone which led to a safety and helped the Eagles jump to an early 12-7 lead. Morris, who ran for more than 1,600 yards on his way to a record setting rookie year, was basically a non factor in the game and finished with 45 yards on 12 carries and one touchdown.

The Redskin defense just could not keep up with the Eagles no-huddle offense. Poor tackling helped Eagle running back McCoy rack up 184 yards, helping the high-flying Eagles to a commanding 26-7 halftime lead. The defense did redeem itself in the second half holding the Eagles to seven points but the first half damage was too much to overcome. The Eagles ended the game with 443 net yards, 263 of them on the ground as McCoy used his cat-like quickness to out maneuver Redskin defenders all night long.

RGIII was not himself in the first half. He was 5 of 11 for only 53 yards with one interception. He finished the game 30 of 49 for 329 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. He only ran the ball five times for 24 yards. He appeared to be fully recovered from his off season ACL injury.

Wide out Leonard Hankerson was a bright spot for the Redskins as he caught five passes for 80 yards and two second half touchdowns to keep the game respectable. RGIII’s favorite target, Pierre Garçon led the team in receiving with seven catches for 64 yards.

Vick, who won the starting job, was 15 of 25 for 203 yards. He ran the ball nine times for 54 yards and kept the Redskin defense off balance in the crucial first half while leading his team to a big 26-7 lead. Washington rallied, but it was too little too late. This night the high powered Eagle offense was the difference, but RGIII and the Redskins did not quit and nearly made a remarkable comeback.