Redskins Scalp Bears

Timothy Earl October 27, 2013 Comments Off on Redskins Scalp Bears

imagesThe Washington Redskins offense came alive as Robert Griffin lll rushed for 84 yards and Roy Helu Jr. scored a career-high three rushing touchdowns leading his team to a 45-41 nail-biting victory against the Chicago Bears at FedEx Field.

Both teams took turns marching down the field in the second half. Washington finished the game with 499 yards. There were eight lead changes in the game. The teams combined to finish seven for nine in the Red zone. This was the second highest scoring game in the NFL this season trailing only the 51-48 Denver win over Dallas.

The Bears (4-3) were able to keep pace with the Redskins despite losing starting quarterback Jay Cutler to a groin injury in the second quarter. Back up Josh McCown engineered what appeared to be a game winning drive as the Bears took the lead 41-38 with just under four minutes to play in the game. McCown finished the game 14 for 20 for 204 yards and one touchdown.

RG3 (18 for 29 for 298 yards with two touchdowns and one interception) then responded with his own 12 play 80-yard drive that led to the game-winning points. He converted two big third down passes, one to Pierre Garçon, who had five catches for 58 yards, on the run and another to tight end Jordan Reed who caught 9 passes for 134 yards and one touchdown while setting a Redskin rookie record for yardage by a tight end in a game. Helu, who finished the game with 41 yards on 11 carries, then scored the game winning touchdown with 45 seconds to play giving the Redskins a (2-4) record heading into Denver.
Helu was able to help starting Redskin running back Alfred Morris stay fresh and he contributed 95 yards on 19 carries as the Redskins had 209 net rushing yards for the game.

After Cutler went out, the Redskins dominated the first half holding the Bears to 46 total yards. The Redskin defense came up with a big play in the first half as linebacker Brian Orakpo intercepted a tipped Cutler pass and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown. The Redskin special teams helped the Bears stay in the game in the first half by allowing Devin Hester an 81-yard punt return for a touchdown.

This was the first time since 1952 that Washington has given up punt return touchdowns in consecutive games. Washington surrendered an 86-yard punt return touchdown during their 31-16 loss to the Dallas Cowboys the week before.

Despite the special teams let down, Washington played their most complete first half of the season and led 24-17 at the half. They had 249 yards of offense in the first half.
The offensive fireworks continued in the second half. Chicago running back Matt Forte (16 carries for 91 yards and three touchdowns) scored on a 50-yard run to even the score at 24 with 6:34 to play in the third quarter. Washington responded with a Helu three-yard score to give them a 31-24 lead with 3:19 remaining in the third quarter.

The Bears tied the game again with a Forte six-yard touchdown run with 12:44 to play. RG3 then promptly hit wideout Aldrick Robinson with a 45-yard bomb between two Chicago defenders to give Washington a 38-31 lead with 10:55 to play. Chicago countered with a 49-yard field goal to close the gap to 38-34 with 8:39 to play in the game.

McCown then hit Marcellus Bennett with a seven-yard scoring pass to help the Bears take their last lead of the game, 41-38 with 3:57 to play. Helu then completed the 80-yard game-winning drive by dashing three yards up the middle with 45 seconds left in the game giving Washington a 45-41 lead. The Bears had one last chance to regain the lead but the Redskin defense sacked McCown to end the game.